GIRLS IN ICY FJORDS
Explore Resurrection Bay
Girls in Icy Fjords is a new expedition that will take place for the first time in August 2017! By kayak, 8 girls will explore Bear Glacier and its surrounding marine environment near Seward, AK. Accompanied by a sea kayak guide, professional scientist, and artists, the team will learn about the important connection between glaciers and oceans. The different shades of blue, white and grey, the sounds of cracking ice, and the merging alpine and maritime smells will provide a perfect playground to improve scientific observational skills, get a close look at a quickly changing environment, reflect thoughts and senses in drawings, become more self-confident in unknown territory, and build friendships for a lifetime.
Girls in Icy Fjords will bring together a team of eight girls from all over the world representing many different lifestyles, cultures, and levels of outdoor experience. Applications will be considered in tandem with those for the other Inspiring Girls Expeditions so that the most diverse teams of girls can be selected for each program.
Every year, the day-to-day details of the expedition change due to weather and sea conditions in Resurrection Bay. Here is a little snippet of the basic itinerary:
- Day 1: Meet the team in Anchorage, drive to Seward, and camp out in a forested area near Seward
- Day 2: Learn about sea kayaking gear and basic sea kayaking skills, and hike along coast
- Day 3: Take sea taxi to Bear Glacier, set up camp, briefly explore lake by kayak
- Day 4-9: Explore the lake, icebergs, glacier, and marine environment, while learning how to sea kayak, testing out fun science experiments and looking at nature through the lens of an artist
- Day 10: Pack up, take sea taxi back to Seward and sleep at the Alaska Sealife Center
- Day 11: Stay at the Alaska Sealife Center while wrapping up science, art, and reflection activities
- Day 12: Enjoy final morning of activities together before heading home