GIRLS ON ICE - CASCADES
explore mount baker
Girls on Ice Cascades is our longest running expedition. Since 1999, teams of 8-9 girls and 3 instructors have hiked in the Cascade mountain range where they design science experiments, connect with their beautiful surroundings through art, and bond together as a team. On this expedition, the team camps on a glacier atop an active volcano!
Applications for Girls on Ice Cascades will be considered in tandem with those for the other Girls on Ice expeditions, so that the most diverse teams of girls can be selected for each expedition.
Each year the day to day details of the expedition change due to weather and glacier conditions!
The basic itinerary:
- Day 1: Meet the team, learn about glacier gear, and camp out at a farm near Mt. Baker.
- Day 2: Drive to the vicinity of Mt. Baker and get comfortable with pack and boots by enjoying a short day hike.
- Day 3: Hike to basecamp at 6000 ft on Mt. Baker and set up our home for the week.
- Days 4-9: Explore the glacier, the surrounding alpine meadows, and the upper mountain, while doing fun science experiments.
- Days 10-11: Hike out and travel back to the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center. Wrap up science, art, and reflection activities.
- Day 12: Enjoy a final morning of activities together before heading home.