GIRLS ON ICE - Canada
Coming Soon! explore Canadian Glaciers
Girls on Ice Canada is open to girls from Canada. It takes place in Glacier National Park, British Columbia.
Girls on Ice Canada is a unique Canadian mountain experience that is packed full of dynamic glaciers, hardy alpine ecosystems, and beautiful landscapes. Girls will move through and interact with inspiring landscapes filled with bright blue ice, crisp white snow, towering gray rocks, and soft green alpine plants. Accompanied by mountain guides, professional scientists, and artists, a diverse group of 8 girls will explore the Illecillewaet and Asulkan glaciers of British Columbia. These glaciers provide a perfect environment for developing scientific observational skills, understanding relationships between organisms and their surroundings, reflecting on our own interactions with the mountains through art, as well as building self-confidence in difficult terrain and gaining life-long friendships.
The day to day activities of the expedition may change due to weather and glacier conditions but each day promises to be filled with adventure and inquisitive thought!
The basic itinerary:
- Day 1: Meet the team in Calgary, learn about travelling and camping in the mountains, and stay the night in Kananaskis Country, Alberta
- Day 2: Drive to Glacier National Park, British Columbia. Go on a day hike to get comfortable using gear and to begin the process of immersion science and develop observational skills. Spend the night at A. O. Wheeler Hut.
- Day 3: Drive to Glacier National Park and hike to Asulkan Cabin, which is located close to the terminus of a glacier
- Day 4-9: Explore the glacier and surrounding mountains while learning about the ice and snow and the ecosystems that depend on it. By traveling through the mountains, girls will gain essential technical skills and confidence in their abilities. Girls will conduct their own science experiments as well as create art pieces that reflect their interacts with glaciers and perceptions of mountain environments.
- Day 10: Hike out and travel back..
- Day 11: Wrap up science experiments with a culminating presentation of the results at the Biogeoscience Institute in Kananaskis Country
- Day 12: Final reflection activities and return to airport.