GIRLS ON ICE - CASCADES
explore mount baker
Girls on Ice Cascades is open to girls from all over the nation and the world. It takes place in Washington state on Mount Baker, an active volcano.
Each year the day to day details of the expedition change due to weather and glacier conditions!
The basic itinerary:
- Day 1: Meet the team, learn about glacier gear, and camp out at a farm near Mt. Baker.
- Day 2: Drive to the vicinity of Mt. Baker and get comfortable with pack and boots by enjoying a short day hike.
- Day 3: Hike to basecamp at 6000 ft on Mt. Baker and set up our home for the week.
- Days 4-9: Explore the glacier, the surrounding alpine meadows, and the upper mountain, while doing fun science experiments.
- Days 10-11: Hike out and travel back to the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center. Wrap up science, art, and reflection activities.
- Day 12: Enjoy a final morning of activities together before heading home.